Irregular bowel movements due to hypothyroidism?

will hypothyroid causer irregular bowel habits ?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

'Yes' is the answer for your simple query. This is how it is.

Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland makes decreased amount of thyroid hormone.

It is a well known fact that thyroid hormones (excess or deficiency) may influence gut motility modulating neurological and smooth muscle function in the gut wall. Several studies have shown that hypothyroidism could be associated with decreased frequency of rhythmic peristaltic and slower food movement time from mouth to the colon in humans.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow ups.Please accept my answer if you have no follow ups.

Follow-up: Irregular bowel movements due to hypothyroidism? 16 hours later
Thanks for your reply doctor.. In this case what are the steps/diet to get rid off this. THis is causing severe pain..
Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

First and the most important thing is to treat hypothyroidism. You need to follow your thyroid medications strictly as advised by your endocrinologist. Once treatment is started the symptoms of constipation will be reduced to certain extent.

As far as dietary modifications are concerned:
1. Increased intake of fluids and fiber XXXXXXX diet such as XXXXXXX vegetables, fruits (and dried fruits), and some cereals (whole wheat, XXXXXXX or oatmeal consumption will benefit you and prevent constipation.
2. Certain food should be avoided before taking medications for this like walnuts, soybean flour, iron tablets, calcium supplements, antacids / antiulcer medications .These will decrease the absorption of the medication. Avoid them before you take thyroid supplements
3. Further there have been some reports that suggest use of cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, mustard, rutabagas, kohlrabi, turnips along with non iodinised salts have been associated with increased risk of hypothyroidism. It might also benefit you to restrict them in your diet and make sure your salt is iodinised to the standards.

Hope I have provided you useful information pertaining to your query. Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries. Yet I will be available for follow ups if you have any.

Wish you good health.