Irregular bowel movement with brown spot in it. Getting burning pain above belly button. Concerned

I get a burning pain above belly button in the afternoon each day. I also have irregular bowel movements, sometime seeing brown spots on the paper after wiping. I seem to also have an aching feeling in my stomach above my right hip.
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 10 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

It would help to me answer more specifically if you could answer a few questions:

Do you have nausea, vomiting, loose motions? Was there any fresh red blood in the stools?
Is there alternate constipation and diarrhea? Do you have acidity, waterbrash, sour regurgitations?
Is the pain related to food? How would you describe the pain?
Are you on any medications?
Do you have any other disorders apart from SVT?

Some bowel pathology seems likely.
Please describe the symptoms in detail.

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at

Thank you!!
Follow-up: Irregular bowel movement with brown spot in it. Getting burning pain above belly button. Concerned 18 minutes later
Thank you for your response. When I have the burning sensation I feel nauseous but have not thrown up. my stools alternate but are mostly difficult to pass. I mostly get the pain in the afternoon and before bed, so an hour or more after eating. I am not on medications but am taking natural tablets: rhodiola, Eleuthera, p5p and 5htp as well as flaxseed and pumpkin seed.

There is no fresh blood but more like what looks like grit/coffee grinds on the paper.
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 12 minutes later
Thanks for the addition.
Your symptoms are quite pointers to a possible gastric/ duodenal ulcer.

There may be altered blood in the stools.

Pain after food and coffee ground blood in the stools indicates upper gastro-intestinal bleed.

Do you have any acidity, sour eructations, heartburn, burning in the chest?

I would advise to get evaluated, get a haemogram, stool routine and stool occult blood tests.

If felt appropriate by your doctor, a GI opinion, oesophago-gastro-duodenoscopy (OGDscopy) and ultrasound of the abdomen, pelvis may be advised.

You can start OTC acidity medicines like omeprazole or famotidine or ranitidine and see if the symptoms reduce. Avoid alcohol, smoking, spicy foods.

Other differentials are many and may include bowel lesions, mesenteric ischaemia, tumours etc.
Please get evaluated to enable appropriate treatment.
I do not know the effects of the ‘natural’ tablets you are on.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this answer.

Please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!