Irregular bowel movement, weight loss, tearing sensation in chest, dizziness. Should I see a cardiologist?

Oncologist, Surgical
Question
I have been experiencing irregar bowel movents for several weeks now. Stools appear normal on occassion and float on occassion as well. I have lost 10lbs since December and my PCP and GI do not appear to be concerned. I have had a cbc with dif thay was normal as well as a lipase test that was normal. I had a tearing sensation in my chest/upper abdomen that made me feel extremeley faint. A chest xray and aortic ulttasound were performed without any negative indicators. I qas wondering if I should see a cardiologist? I am a 33 year old male...

January that caused dizziness as well as a faimring like sensatio
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 6 hours later
Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear about your problem. Altered bowel movements and weight loss are not symptoms which should be ignored. You should ask your doctors to do order a fecal occult blood test for you which will tell us if you are having any bleeding in your stools which in turn can lead to low hemoglobin and symptoms of dizziness. They should also consider performing a colonoscopy to rule out polyps or a carcinoma, which can be leading to these symptoms.
There is no harm in visiting a cardiologist but your symptoms are suggestive to GI problems and at your age a cardiology problem seems unlikely.
Have you noticed any blood in your stools? Any family history of cancer?

Hope I have answered your question. Please feel free to ask any other queries.

Follow-up: Irregular bowel movement, weight loss, tearing sensation in chest, dizziness. Should I see a cardiologist? 11 minutes later
I did notice blood after a bowel movement on Feb 19 and January March 10th. I had an anal fisher that was noticable the time but not the second. I went to the urgent care the second time and nothing was visible. I followed up with my pcp who didn't seem to concernes I have alreay met with the GI whom ordered several stool sames. I also have a follow up on,April 12th with my GI.

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 1 minute later
Dear Sir,

If you are having bleeding as well for which no apparent cause is visible on examination, you should seriously contemplate a colonoscopy. You should discuss this with your GI doc on 12th.

Hoping for the best.