Irregular Periods, poly cystic ovaries, birth control pills, pap test, discomfort, outburst of pimples

Female/28yrs/80kgs/166cms/Mother of 3yr old - Symptom Irregular Periods. I consulted a doctor and was diagnosed with poly cystic ovaries.The Doc put me on Birth-control pills to regularise my periods. I took it for 6months as per prescription and now I am back to same situation. I have not had periods for last two months after i stopped the pills. I did my pap test and the results were clear. I experience lot of discomfort, outbusrt of pmiples on my body because of this. PLease advise.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

In polycystic ovaries the hormone dis-balance is such that there are long intervals in between two periods. The best way to regularize the periods in such a situation is to take oral pills. Out of many pills available, you can take the pills with some anti androgenic activity like XXXXXXX to decrease the chances of getting pimples.

If you are not having immediate plans for your next baby then you can opt for intrauterine device to regularize your periods with minimal side effects. Some other adjuvant drugs like metformin are also reported to help during weight loss and to upregulate the hormone receptors.

You can discuss these problems with your gynaecologist and she will choose the best option for you.
I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.

Follow-up: Irregular Periods, poly cystic ovaries, birth control pills, pap test, discomfort, outburst of pimples 20 hours later
Hi Doctor
many thanks for your reply. I found it very helpful, but could you tell me what is intrauterine device? I live in Dubai, are these pills like XXXXXXX and Metformin available here locally? Do these pills have any side effects such as weight gain etc?

Kind Regards
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back.
IUD is commonly called copper-T or mirena coil. These are inserted in the uterus for 5 or 7 or 10 years and they prevent ovulation and implantation of fetus in the uterus while keeping the cycles regular. They are safer as compared to oral pills and can be removed earlier if you want to plan a baby.

Yes XXXXXXX and metformin should be available in dubai but these are to be taken only under the guidance of a gynaecologist with proper monitoring.

Regular exercise is indicated to avoid weight gain ( reported in few women).

Sincerely hope it will help.

Wishing you an early recovery.