Iron deficiency anemia. Anxiety, rapid heartbeat. Taking Poly iron capsules. How long will I take to recover?

Excellent

Hematologist
Question
If you have iron deficiency anemia, would you oxygen saturation reading still be 98-99%? I have iron deficiency anemia. My hemoglobin is 9.8. Recently, I have had a lot of anxiety and have noticed my heart beat seems fast. So, i checked my pulse. My pulse has been running like 98-100bpm for most of the day. My blood pressure is normal. My oxygen saturation is reading 98-99%. My doctor told me that I have been iron deficiency anemic for at least six years. I just started taking poly iron 150 capsules once a day. How quickly do you think my symptoms will go away?
Posted Wed, 11 Jul 2012 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Ajith Puthillath 6 hours later

Iron deficiency anemia does not necessarily decrease your oxygen saturation; unless it is very severe (less than 7).

It takes between 4-6 weeks for the anemia to get better with iron supplementation. Iron pills are better taken before food; however it may cause gastric irritation. Drinking with a glass of orange will improve the absorption.

Hope I have provided you some useful information. Let me know if you have any other query.

Aj

Follow-up: Iron deficiency anemia. Anxiety, rapid heartbeat. Taking Poly iron capsules. How long will I take to recover? 7 hours later
I have been taking my iron tablet two hours after I eat, with a glass of water. My doctor prescribed me to take one poly iron 150 capsule twice a day. I have only been taking one a day. but, given my weight of only 87lbs, 5'4", do you think it will still help in 4-6 weeks?

Answered by Dr. Ajith Puthillath 4 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
I would prefer that you be taking 2 pills , 2 hrs after a meal with a glass of orange juice. I would also recommend colace/sennokot if constipation is a problem.
This should really help you in 4-6 weeks.
Hope this helps
AJ