Involuntary bowel movement,distended stomach,strong smelling urine.

I wonder if you can help. My daughter is 4 and starts school this August. She is continuing to dirty her pants with Poo and has pee accidents regulary. When she has managed to do a big/solid poo she tends to be able to control her pees, and manages to make it to the toilet. It seems to be when she has not has a poo for a while that she then soils her pants two/three times a day and has pee accidents too. Her stomach ofter looks extended.

I have lactilose but this seems to give her the runs when I use it regularly. She does not have a poo everyday. She drinks water regularly during the day - the nursery staff report she has a lot to drink. And finslly, her urine has always been extremely strong smelling.

Can you help? I have tried a reward system/being tough on her, and do not know what else try? Is this Psychological or a physical issue?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later

Its right time where strong intervention in toilet training by parents is needed for the child to gain the good toilet attitude.

Yes, when the stools is of not good bulk and is loose the child will not be able to control it as the sphincter muscle and the abdominal muscle tone will be less at that age.Do increase fiber content in her diet which will help here like apples , bananas, oranges, beans,berries,peas , spinach , sweet corn,carrot , baked potato etc.This makes her stool bulk and able to control without any discomfort.

Stomach look extended ! if you meant stomach is distended then it could be due to low protein in the body , replenishing the same by supplementing via food or protein powders will help.

The smell of the urine is normal at this age , as there will be high protein metabolism since its a growing age.The waste products produced in the digestion of the proteins is the reason for the same.

I do not consider any physical or psychological issue here, its pretty normal sometimes the toilet training be delayed.The below link i have provided will provide you some useful guidance over the training.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.