Invisible twitches in the body, tingling in legs, face, hands, pins and needles sensation. Multiple sclerosis ?

I have invisible twitches around my body, mostly in my legs, i have intermittent tingling in feet, hands & sometimes even face. The tingling in my face is what originally concerned me, after looking online, it pointed straight to MS so this is when I felt the XXXXXXX twitches start in my body. I have seen my GP who has referred me to a neurologist despite her thinking that it was definitely not MS. I also have strange chill sensations up one leg on both sides seperately or back in bed sometimes. Plus a host of other little symptoms. No signs of weakness found by the GP.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Multiple Sclerosis
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 3 hours later

Invisible twitches in the body can be due to various causes like irritability of nerves, spinal cord problems, muscle disease, medications induced and lastly anxiety and feeling of suffering from major illness. However MS(multiple sclerosis) never presents in such a way in the initial stages.

MS can cause twitches in the face and it is usually one sided. This is due to demyelination of the cranial nerves mostly facial nerve. They can have twitching around the eye, one side of face and corner of the mouth. But these are visible twitches. Some times it can produce hemifacial pain but usually is not the presenting symptom.

So i can definitely say that you are not suffering from MS.

The strange chilly sensations in the back and the legs is due to your anxiety and feeling of suffering from MS. These do not suggest any abnormality at this point of time.

MS usually presented with sudden blindness in one eye, double vision, co-ordination problems of one hand or leg, weakness of both legs or hands. So none of your symptoms fit in to the diagnosis at this point of time. XXXXXXX you neuro specilaist and confirm the same from him.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.

Take care. Bye
Follow-up: Invisible twitches in the body, tingling in legs, face, hands, pins and needles sensation. Multiple sclerosis ? 35 minutes later
Firstly, thank you very much for your reply, I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.
I have seen a lot of different information on the internet where tingling / numbness is present with MS which is what I have had intermittently over time. I quite often have pins & needles in my feet but I acknowledge that i have poor posture. What really concerned me was the pins & needles in face but it went away after about 20 minutes XXXXXXX and got better as I stood up & walked around.
I have seen that this could be related to MS?
Thank you kindly
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 4 hours later
Thanks for getting back to me.

Multiple sclerosis is an example of a chronic condition that can result in tingling of the face as i suggested due to involvement of trigeminal nerve. But it is not the usual presenting symptoms.

I do agree with you that when you type these letters on the net first think popping out is MS as a cause.

But i am pretty sure that it will not be the initial symptoms in MS. The blood vessels and nerves, which supply the face and head, originate in the neck and shoulders.

Many of these nerves and blood vessels are routed across the head to the face. When the body is under stress these areas of the body are usually the first to become tense. Facial numbness can be very disturbing but is usually nothing to worry about and is usually the result of this tension.

So be cool as you do not have symptoms of MS at this point of time. I am pretty sure you are not suffering from MS. You can have a opinion from your local Neurologist.

Take care. Bye