Inverted my ankle, have swelling. Should i go to doctor?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I inverted my ankle 7 days ago now. It swelled instantly (like my ankle swallowed a tennis ball) and it hasn't gone down and is still very painful to move - wondering if I should visit the GP? I'm a paramedic I hate the thought of going to a doctor! The ankle is also a little unstable after I herniated L4/5 left me with numbness and weakness in the leg/ankle/foot anyway - so for it to be as sore as it is is surprising considering the lack of sensation I have post that back injury.... Thoughts?
Posted Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query,

From the description and clinical photograph you posted, it might be a soft tissue injury, ligament injury or a fracture.

Soft tissue injury usually heals in 7-10 days. So there is more possibility of ligament injury or a fracture.

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the X-ray/MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim, You can take anti-inflammatory drug like Motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid weight bearing on the affected leg and rest well.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta

Follow-up: Inverted my ankle, have swelling. Should i go to doctor? 2 hours later
Thanks for the reply. I went and spoke to a GP and he thought it appeared quite severe and has ordered an ultrasound ASAP - what will that show??

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Ultrasound will show soft tissue condition, any collection of fluid or blood (if any) after the injury.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Follow-up: Inverted my ankle, have swelling. Should i go to doctor? 6 hours later
Hi yeah thanks again - just wondering if the ultrasound will show any sort of fracture if it exists (?avulsion or hairline etc) or do I need an xray to rule those out??

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

Ultrasound will not show any fracture if it exists. You need an x-ray to rule out any fracture.

I hope this answers your query. If you have no further query, please rate the answer after closing the discussion

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.