Intracranial hypertension, high CSF pressure, cotton wool spots, papilledema. Allergic to diamox. Can excess sodium cause this?

Can excessive sodium intake cause Intracranial hypertension. My csf opening pressure is 47. I have cotton wool spots and severe papilledema. I am allergic to diamox. I do drink about five gatorades daily.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I see that your opening CSF pressure is more than 20 upper limit. And those signs are sure for your ICH condition.

5 gatoredes give 5 X 110 mg of Sodium per day as per your intake. Thats 550 which is well within normal limits of 2000 per day.

Sodium intake does have a bearing in the causation of ICH. Excessive levels over a period causes retention of fluid within the cerebral vasculature as with the body vessels. The increased blood volume is converted to increased pressure on the walls of the arteries to cause hypertension cerebrally in predisposed individuals.
Many other causes also exist.

I can see hashimoto's thyroiditis in your history - another reason for the hypercirculatory changes induced by hyperfunctioning thyroid. Are your levels OK ?

And autoimmune disorders involving kidney can also be a cause in your case - have you evaluated your kidney in the past ?

And the irony of sodium is - in spite that it is the cause, sodium bicarbonate is used in the treatment to lower excessive cerebral pressures alongside other drugs, so optimum levels are only required.

I would suggest you to get evaluated for other reasons clinically, if I would have missed.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.