Intestinal gas, bowel movement, red mucus discharge.

Gastroenterologist
Question
I AM A 52 YEAR OLD WOMAN, TODAY STARTED HAVING SOME INTESTINALE GAS, HAD A BOWEL MOVEMENT AND FOUND A REDISH MUCUS LIKE DISCHARGE ON THE TISSUE. USED THE BATHROOM THIS EVENING HAD GAS WIPED AND HAD MORE RED/DARK IN COLOR MUCUS.
HAVE NOT HAD ANY OTHER PROBLEMS BEFORE TODAY
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 2 hours later
Hello.

Reddish mucoid discharge per rectum indicates rectal irritation with probable blood and could be due to:

1) Anal fissure - Usually associated with painful defecation.
2) Proctitis - Inflammation of the rectum, associated with tenesmus and urgency.
3) Rectal polyp- Produces mucus by irritation.
4) Rarely Hemorrhoids.

A good history with a local per rectal examination with a proctosigmoidoscopy and stool examination under guidance of Gastroenterologist should be able to localise the cause of the symptoms.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Regards.
Dr XXXXXXX