Interrelation between ear,nose and throat infection

I have a problem of water going in my ear. I had twice visited doctors in the past due to this and got my ear cleaned. Last time, around 1.5 years back, I didn't go to doctor and somehow got the water out. At that time, I had some pressure in my ear and I think it somehow affected my nose. I think I always had some problem during sleep after that. I used to sleep in really random postures before, but now I can only sleep straight, otherwise I start feeling suffocated. This might be a stupid question, but is there a possibility that what I think is right? I read somewhere that ear and nose are related somehow. Please let me know if this is a problem and can be solved.
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ear nose and throat are connected Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Yes, you are right. Ear, nose and throat are interconnected. Any water or infection entering the ear can gain entry into the nose or the throat if the ear drum has a hole. The problem existing in the nose could have been caused by the ear problem you had in past. It is necessary to examine the nasal cavity specially with an endoscopy to know what is the defect which is causing suffocation while sleeping. Do consult an ENT specialist and ask for the endoscopy to identify the problem and formulate a treatment. Regards,