Intermittent throbbing in left back molar region after removing wax from ear. Reason?

ENT Specialist
48 hrs ago I saw an ENT who manually removed impacted wax from my left ear canal. During the procedure, I experienced some pain and referral down to the left side of my throat. Since the procedure I have had intermittent throbbing that lasts for 3-5 seconds about every 5 minutes in my left back molar region or TMJ. I am assuming this is referred pain, however, not sure if its nerve related or from the ear canal/ ear drum? I have taken 400 ibuprofen which did not help. I had a PT do trigger point release to the muscles around the jaw and TMJ which also did not help. Possible diagnosis? I will call the ENT today. Any other suggestions?
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Analgesic + antibiotic & local anaesthetic drops Detailed Answer: Hello, Wax is labelled as impacted when it completely fills the external auditory canal (EAC) and many a times is infected from the inner side. Removing it is usually a painful procedure and is uncomfortable. Many a times it injuries/peels off the skin from a part of the EAC. The intermittent pain must be originating from this lacerated area and any inflammed area in EAC is usually very painful because of close adheranace of skin to underlying tissues. This pain can be refered to TMJ region as TMJ is just anterior to the EAC. I suppose your doctor must have given you some analgesics and antibiotic with local anaesthetic ear drops. Please use these as advised by your doctor. You can also discus this with your doctor when you will call him/her. In case the pain does not go, your doctor will most likely prescribe you an antibiotic along with the above described medicines. You should follow the prescription as advised. I hope this solves your query. In case of any other query regarding this problem, feel free to contact XXXXXXX again. Regards