Intermittent shooting pain in area between ribs and pelvis during menses. Have high BP. Suggestions?

intermittent R sided shooting pain in area between ribs and pelvis, it came on slowly, it is not muscular, went to ER had CT scan and "blood work" and was told it was all fine, in the middle of my menstrual cycle, uncomfortable feeling all the time shooting pain about 3/10. Any suggestions about follow up, my blood pressure is up too.
Posted Mon, 10 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 36 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

So you are a 33 year old, healthy, fit woman (no chance of pregnancy) with intermittent right sided pain that is associated with your cycle. You had a CT and blood work which was negative (they were ruling out appendicitis).

Given this current report of pain AND the abortion that was performed related to "pain in the abdomen" it seems that there is something going on that is likely GYN related. The best course of action would include:
1. A consult with an OB/GYN
2. A pelvic exam
3. An ultrasound of the pelvis
If there is truly a feeling that this is GYN related and the exam and ultrasound is negative, then you might be a candidate for a laparoscopy (a minor surgery where a camera is used to look into the abdomen).

Also, if the GYN workup is unrevealing, then consider that this might still be related to your bowels, and a consult with a GI specialist might be in order.

I hope that this helps. Get your primary doctor to repeat your blood pressure as well and see if this is more of a long-term issue.