Intermittent shallow breathing, acidity, normal vital signs, no cough, no mucus, no temperature

Question
I HAVE NORMAL VITAL SIGNS (BLOOD PRESSURE 135, BREATHING 16 BPM, NO TEMPERATURE), NO COUGH AND NO MICOUS, BUT INTERMITTANT SHALLOW BREATHING. ACID STOMACH OCCURS BETWEEN SHALLOW BREATHING SPELLS. AGE-75.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Hello
excessive acid formation in the stomach with gastro oesophageal reflux sometimes causes shallow breathing without any lung pathology. . It should go away with the right treatment and the following lifestyle measures:

1) Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.

2) It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. Also avoid taking two or three heavy meals. Instead, take regular frequent small meals. Avoid taking tea or coffee prior to bedtime and concentrate more on a healthy diet.

3) To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods. Further, avoid eating any junk food or oily, spicy food. Take a healthy, balanced and nutritious diet consisting more of fruits, salads, soups and raw vegetables (after proper washing). Also increase the protein content in your diet instead of carbohydrates and fats. An advice from a dietitian will be helpful.

4) Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.
If the symptoms are persistent then lung causes like bronchitis or pleuritis are needed to be ruled out with the help of your physician.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Regards.