Intermittent rusty drainage from clitoris, done urology examination, clitoris testing. Next step?

I have had intermittent drainage from the clitoris, occasionally accompanied by rusty color. Going on about 6/7 months. I use a hand held shower spray and soak the area for about 3 - 5 minutes daily. Seems to abate then I will find drainage on panties. Comes and goes. Had urology examine of the urethra, no problem. Gyn has tested clitoris and cannot express any drainage. Thought it just might be a "whitehead." Does not seem to think it is any malignancy. What is my next step?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query

Rusty discharge from the genitals can be due to Post menopausal vaginitis which occurs due to decreasing levels of estrogen after menopause making it more suspectible to infections.

Another cause can be Urethritis and Urine analysis is not a very useful test if that is the cause.

Generally hot weather conditions can make the condition worse.

A Pap smear, microscopic examination of the vaginal discharge and Urethral culture are some useful investigations which would help in ruling out the cause.

Some measures for you:

1)Wear loose cotton underwear.

2)Avoid vaginal douching, use of harsh soap or perfumes in the area.

3)Drink lots of water.

4)You can take Vitamin C tablet daily once to increase body immunity.

5)Have a bowl of yoghurt in diet daily as it promotes lactobaccili growth and also is a source of calcium.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up in case of doubt.