Intermittent pain on left side of chest. BP normal. Is it some heart problem ?

I am having intermittent pain in my chest on the left side since last one month. Occassionally I also feel like there is pull inside my chest ( similar to some strings getting pulled from inside). The pain usually starts and last for 15-30 mins. I dont have any other problems with breathing and fast heart beat. I tried stressing myself by taking the stairs and swimming but didnt feel anything abnormal. I continously monitor my BP and have found it to be always in the normal range of 120/80. I go for walk regularly in the evenings and exercise for 20-30 mins every day. I want to know if these are symptoms for any heart disease and if I should undergo any tests to get a clear picture on the problem?
Posted Fri, 25 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Chest pain is a common problem for majority of the working population these days. However, when the pain is in the left side alone, panic begins to pile up as we have a tendency to associate this pain with heart attack. However, one must understand that there may be several causes of left chest pain, apart from heart attack itself. But, as the most important symptom of heart attack is left side chest pain, it should never be ignored. 

Causes of Left Side Chest Pain

The chest pain initiates in the heart or lungs or the esophagus. It can also originate in the components of chest, like the muscles or bones. The root of chest pain may also lie somewhere in the stomach or gallbladder, which are located close to the chest. The disorders in which a patient often complains of a pain in the left side of chest include:
Heart attack
Life style causes like stress

Of course, amongst all these relatively benign problems and causes of left side chest pain lurks a real problem, which is the possibility that the cause of left side chest pain you have is a heart attack, a tear in your aorta or an inflammation of some of the tissues surrounding your heart. These three conditions do cause left side chest pain and may be fatal if not treated immediately.
Although your history doesn't suggest it to be a heart problem but still I would advise you to consult a cardiologist and get a cardiac clearance from him.
Get your thyroid function tests done.
Your triglycerides are high which may mean that you should moderate your alcohol,if taking it and avoid junk foods.
Get an ultrasound abdomen done to look for Any gall bladder pathology.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any other query.
Follow-up: Intermittent pain on left side of chest. BP normal. Is it some heart problem ? 17 hours later
Hello Doctor,
Thanks for your detailed response.
I will consult the cardiologist and also get the other tests done as per your suggestion.
While driving my car today to office, I realized that since 2 months I have been wearing seat belt while driving after it was made mandatory. I observed that the seat belt is passing over my chest area and heart and pressing against it. I also feel that this could be as well a reason for the chest pain.
Thanks & Regards,
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 13 minutes later
Prima facie your pain definitely looks like muscular stretch only and this seat belt could be the reason for your pain.
You can take some anti inflammatory like ibuprofen 400 mg twice daily for five days and don't wear the seat belt during the same period.If your pain goes away,it will prove that pain is muscular only.
Don't forget to have a cardiac clearance from cardiologist.