Intermittent occurrence of blood in urine. CT scans normal. Best treatment measures?

General Surgeon
I had blood in my urine for the first time last night, and again this morning- It happens every other time it seems. I had
a CT scan a few months ago and everything seemed ok. What is the best thing to do
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 45 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Blood in urine is usually caused by urinary tract stones. However with this conditions, lower abdominal pain, frequent urinating, burning while urinating should be also present. Sometimes the pain can radiate to the back or groin.

But if the blood in urine is a single symptom, other reasons should be considered including urinary bladder cancer.

CT scan is a very good test, but it is unable to visualize urinary tract stones and is not the best for urinary bladder tumors diagnostics.
I suggest you to visit urologist, have urine analysis, urine culture test, abdominal ultrasound. Depending of the results, cystoscopy (a test where small camera is put into an urinary bladder) should be considered.

In a meanwhile, drink plenty of mineral water, have cranberries supplements.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Intermittent occurrence of blood in urine. CT scans normal. Best treatment measures? 1 hour later
I did have an ultrasound done on my bladder about 3 months ago and everything
checked out. That's because I have an enlarged prostate that is being treated with Doxosin. I did have some Antibiotics on Monday prior to dental work-could that have been a cause. In the meanwhile, I have no other symptoms other than the blood in the urine, but I do work out every morning for about 50 minutes aT a quick pace. As I mentioned, the blood in urine is happening about 1 out 3 times I have to go. Do you suggest I wait to see if it stops, or should I see my urologist quickly
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Ultrasound might be not enough. Cystoscopy should be done if the situation keeps recurring and there is no particular reason of it.

Some antibiotics can cause a trace of blood in the urine, but this is very rare.

Amoxicillin is usually given prior to dental work and it does not cause blood in the urine.

If there is no other symptoms than blood in the urine (no symptoms of infection like lower abdominal pain, burning while urinating, frequent urinating, fever) you can wait some time with it and make an appointment to your urologist.

Hope this will help.