Intermittent fever, ear pain, cold and cough. What is the reason? Should malaria test be done?

Cold, Fever started on 11 Aug. She had running nose and was sneezing also. Temperature was 100 - 101 degree centigrade. After consulting doc we gave Septran 3ml/3 times for 5 days, crocin ds 3 ml when fever comes(1 or 2 times a day) and tminic for cold. Chest was clear, throat - range tonsil not congested. After 5 days she had still fever and cold, we did blood tests and urine tests but nothing was wrong.
we gave Azithral for 3 days. Temperature became normal after 3 days but she had mild cold.
The cold was there for next 10-12 days, then cough started and got acute and fever started with 100-101.
Doctor presribed Sinarest and Ambrolite, we gave the medicines for 3 days. She did not get relief on cough so we gave Ascoril LS and crocin for 2 days. The temperature is getting on/off, when crocin is given it comes down again starts. Now today she is getting ear ache and also temperature is not getting normal.
So since last 3 weeks she is getting frequent fever, cold and cough, what should be the reason? Should we go for malaria test? How long crocin can be given does it have any side effects?

Her age is 2 years 8 months and weight is 10 KG.

Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 35 minutes later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

Normally, cold and cough can take up to 2-3 weeks to clear off from the body. Only thing is the cold makes the child more prone to chest infections and ear infections. She has already been treated with 2 courses of antibiotics in the past 3 weeks ( with septran and azithral). Her blood tests and urine tests have also come back as normal.

There is no harm as such in giving crocin in the correct pediatric dosage.

Also if things are still not getting better in another week, you might want to get additional blood tests done for your child.

In the meantime, just medications are not enough to treat the problem. If she is a poor eater, low immunity could be an issue.

Please give her only warm water to drink. Whether it is complan, milk, water , give it warm.This should provide some relief from cough and cold.

Give her a teaspoon of honey mixed with a pinch of pepper powder. This is soothing to the throat and might help in reducing the cough.

Keep the house free from dust by vacuuming etc. Dust can further worsen cold and allergies. Please ensure that nobody smokes cigarette inside the house.

Under parental supervision, try to get your daughter to do steam inhalation .Maybe your daughter can sit on your lap and both of you can do steam inhalation together.Please be careful.

The above measures might provide some relief to your child.

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan
Follow-up: Intermittent fever, ear pain, cold and cough. What is the reason? Should malaria test be done? 1 hour later
Just worried what is causing frequent fever?
The live in area is polluted as lots of building constructions are going on, is dust creating the cold and fever?
Do we need to go for malaria test, as mosquitos are quite significant in number in this area?
What can we do to reduce her ear pain?
Can we give more antibiotics for fever and caugh?
We are giving ascoril for caugh, will this also clear sputum
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 15 hours later
Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in writing back.

I would advise you to wait and watch. Maintain good hydration in the child with warm water to drink etc. Please follow the measures I have suggested in the previous mail.

The fact that she has already been evaluated by the paediatrician and the fact that her blood tests have come back normal , should make you feel reassured.

Yes, Dust could be a cause of allergy, thereby predisposing the child to cold and fever.

You can get your child tested for malaria if needed. However, your child's symptoms do not exactly fit in with symptoms of malaria. In Malaria , one would expect high grade fever with chills and rigors etc. Cough is a rather uncommon symptom of malaria.

In some cases, the fever, cold, ear ache might be due to a viral infection or congestion due to the cold. So, please do not expose your child to unnecessary intake of antibiotics unless it is recommended by her paediatrician.

To reduce the ear pain, sinarest should reduce the pain as it contains both paracetamol and decongestants.

Ascoril will reduce the cough to a certain extent and make the mucous less viscous.

I hope you will follow the measures I have mentioned in my previous mail.

If she doesn't feel better in 2 days,or if she has persistent ear pain, cough,breathing difficulty, fever > 101 F please visit the paediatrician.

I hope this information will be of some help to you.