Intermittent ear pain, retracted ear drum, wax drainage, mucus discharge, no odor, no fever, no pain.

my daughter had intermittant ear pain a few days ago . I took her to her m.d who said her eardrum looked retracted.2 days ago a large amont of wax drained from her ear, now she is having a watery sometimes mucusy discharge that has no oder. She has no fever and is not complaining of pain
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 40 minutes later

I am happy to answer your question.

While a retracted ear drum does not usually lead to rupture (rupture more often follows a bulging ear drum), it remains a possibility. If it is ruptured, it is usually no problem. About the only precaution is to not immerse the head in water (i.e., swim) without ear plugs. The ear drum is made of a kind of skin, and it usually heals.

Since she has no pain or fever, this is not an urgent situation. I would make a routine follow up appointment with her doctor and let her/him have a look.

I hope this answers your question. Please feel free to follow up, if needed.

Dr. J Schwarz