Intermittent discomfort in shoulder with lightheadedness, triggers with coffee intake or red-bull. Suggestion?

I have been getting on and off discomfort in left shoulder for awhile. Only thing I knew to trigger it in the past was smoking marihuana, I spoke with doc he said it was likely stress related. Lately however it has been happening more often and after drinking coffee or the other day after a redbull. When i pull my head down and to the right it feels as if i am stretching it which occasionally provides relief. Sometimes it is accompanied by lightheadess, I am a 30 male 6'2" 280 do I need to see another doctor? Or even go to hospital?
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

I have gone through your query and I understand your concern. From your description this could be related to any of the following two systems:
For your better understanding let me explain why.

Cardiovascular system: Redbull contains adrenaline, which for an individual with a weak heart, can result in serious complications like angina (pain and/or tightness in the chest wall), etc. Pain in the chest, radiating to the left arm, left shoulder or even the lower part of the throat are all symptoms of a cardiovascular problems.

Lightheadedness could indicate a circulatory problem, which again could be related to the heart.

Gastrointestinal system: Coffee contains caffeine, and is considered an irritant in many gastrointestinal conditions like acid reflux, peptic ulcer disease, GERD, inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, etc. Conditions like GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) also mimic certain symptoms of a heart condition like pain in chest, left arm, left shoulder, etc.

I hope I have explained this well enough. So I would say, YES, please do visit a doctor to get your cardiac profile as well as gastrointestinal system analysed. An immediate ECG (EKG), followed by a 2D echocardiography would give us all the information we need on the heart. 24 hour acid pH monitoring, endoscopy, etc; are investigations that can be conducted to examine the gastrointestinal system.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.