Intercourse, taken pills, heart burn, stomach ache, irregular periods. Pregnant?

Bleeding between periods
I had intercourse on 4th day of my cycle, i.e. during menstruation (day 1 as the day periods started). I had even spotted the next day. Used protection too. I was still worried so i took 2 XXXXXXX combination pill on day 5 and 2 XXXXXXX pills on day 6. I did not take the pill after that. Ever since I have had heart burn and stomach ache, belching and pain between the shoulders. Today, day 13 of my cycle, i am bleeding, infact heavier than day 1 of my periods. The discharge is fresh bright red with mucous. I have never had mid cycle bleeding before. What is causing this?? Its not pregnancy or implantation bleeding, is it?? considering i am only day 13 of my cycle today.

Just to add that i have a regular 30-31 cycle normally.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later

The bleeding you are having now is most likely the withdrawal bleeding caused by the high dose of XXXXXXX that you took for 2 days continuously.

It does not seem like an implantation bleeding or a feature of pregnancy as you were involved in sexual intercourse during safe period where the chances of pregnancy are almost nil. The bleeding is likely to subside in next 2-3 days.

In addition to this your next period may be delayed by a few days. If this happens, it is again due to the XXXXXXX pills.

If the heavy bleeding continues for more than a few days (as mentioned earlier) then you might need hormonal drugs like combined contraceptive pills to stop the bleeding. A gynecologist would be able to prescribe it to you if needed.

Hope this answers is helpful to you.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.