Intercourse, sore throat, no fever, no discharge, history of tonsil. Possibility of HIV infection?

Question
Hi ,
I was in Philippines for my office work but in office party me and my friend met few girls we dont know them ,because party was in bar . I slept with one of girl on that night it was disgusting for me how I did that even I am not married ,but it happened . I have used the condom and it was not damaged now I am scared about HIV infection .it happened on 18th of Sept 2011 after that I read many articles on internet if you get infected then you would feel like FLU. After that My throat is too much sore ( I have tonsil problem normal 2 3 times in a year ) and throat is not good since last week and no other problem I have no fever, no discharge .Please help me I am too much concern about it even not able to sleep . I am co-relating everything with HIV infection symptoms. Kindly help me because many people said that it can be confirmed only after 3 month or 6 month. is my symptoms are same as or HIV having different symptoms

Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 14 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better?

1.) Was that lady a Bar girl or someone who has visited the bar?
2.) Do you get headaches, have rash, diarrhea or weight loss?

Your history seems to be fine as it doesn't point towards HIV/Aids, the antibodies normally develop after 12 weeks to 6 months against the virus in your body. Hence it is ideal to test for them after 6 months for you to be declared HIV positive. This is called "Window Period". If it is negative even after 6 months, then you are clear of HIV/AIDS.

Since you have used a condom which i appreciate the most and it has not broken, your chances of having infected is Nil. The regular tonsillitis you get points to Chronic tonsillitis for which you have to get yourself examined by a ENT specialist so that he/she may examine you and confirm it. You will have to get them removed through surgery which is called Tonsillectomy, your treating doctor will be able to explain it to you better.

You can visit any of the Primary Care Physicians and get your blood and urine tested for,

1.) Complete Blood Count
2.) ESR
3.) Urinalysis.

Follow the lifestyle modifications,

1.) Always practice safe sex and be faithful to a single partner.
2.) Avoid smoking and alcoholism
3.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
4.) Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight.
5.) Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer you follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Best Regards,
Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Intercourse, sore throat, no fever, no discharge, history of tonsil. Possibility of HIV infection? 55 minutes later
1.) Was that lady a Bar girl or someone who has visited the bar? Yes Bar girl
2.) Do you get headaches, have rash, diarrhea or weight loss? NO

Till now I dont have any rash,headaches and weight loss only problem which I have that is tonsil I took few tablets of althromicin 500 mg .Now it quite good and after taking the medicine I am feeling quite low as energy level thats it problem I am feeling now . My Urinalysis was non reactive as per report.

So As per your answer I should be go through HIV Screening after 6 month ?

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thank you for Writing back.

You can't take risk having sex with a bar girl, because you never know that they are infected. Yes, you need to get yourself tested for HIV antibodies after 6 months so that you cross the "Window Period".

Don't worry since you have had safe sex, the chances of getting infected are minimal. You can get yourself treated for Tonsillitis by a ENT Specialist and do not take any medicine without consulting a Doctor.

Follow the lifestyle changes which I have suggested earlier, stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.

All the Best.

Take Care.

Best Regards,
Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Intercourse, sore throat, no fever, no discharge, history of tonsil. Possibility of HIV infection? 1 hour later
Hi ,

Sorry to Disturb you once again , I would like to tell you one thing bcz I am too scared about HIV not able to sleep I know its my fault but please help me . When I was in manilla 1 or 2 day my stomach was upset but now its good and what type of rashes will come bcz in my hand sudden I rubbed my hand and it get redish kind ,only in my right hand and I am not feeling too much energitic not sure why .

this concern is running in my mind .

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 8 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you once again for writing back.

It is normal to have a rash after rubbing your skin as the capillary blood vessels get build up. It is not a serious issue. The rash in HIV will be slightly protruded, dark brown and small and can appear anywhere on your body like trunk, shoulders or limbs.

For fatigue, you should get yourself examined by a pathology which is highly unlike in your case.

I again stress you to follow the advice which i have given.

All the Best.

Best Regards,
Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Intercourse, sore throat, no fever, no discharge, history of tonsil. Possibility of HIV infection? 20 hours later
Hi ,

I have uploaded reports which was tested in last week Please have a look once . Let me know when I should go next test .

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 51 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Welcome Back.

Your Reports are absolutely fine as far as Sexually Transmitted Infection Reports are concerned. You need not worry, but repeat the tests once again after 6 months from now to rule out their possibility.

As i said, get yourself tested for the blood and urine work up which i have mentioned above to rule out a infection in your body.

If they suggest a infection is present inside your body, then you need further testing.

Also get yourself examined for syphilis if your doctor seems it to be necessary after examining you.

All the Best.

Take Care.

Best Regards,
Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.