Intercourse leading to burning, itchy, swollen labia, burning sensation during urination. Cause and treatment?

My labia is burning, itchy swollen and red. I went to my doc and the er. I have extreme pain/ burning on the outside of my vagina when I urinate. Almost like the urine is burning me. Its so bad I am trying as hard as I can not to go. No one has had any answered as to why this is happening other than an allergic reaction to the nuva ring. Neither of the doctors could do a full exam because it is to painful to touch, let alone insert anything. This was brought on by intercourse nd the symptoms have been extreme for almost 48 hours. What can I do to stop the burning and be able to urinate without being brought to tears?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
From your symptoms it looks like vulvovaginitis to me which is inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina. It may be caused by chafing or friction rub which occurred after intercourse which you had prior to these symptoms or the second possibility is of an infection can be caused by bacteria or yeast. However the possibility of an infection is less in your case because infection is associated with change in vaginal discharge as well and it may change in color, consistency or smell.

From the symptoms it looks like the friction rub or chafing during intercourse has caused this swelling of labia especially if intercourse was done with less lubrication. The other reason can be an allergic reaction to soaps, detergents, shower gel and condoms etc.

I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for the cervical discharge to rule out any bacterial or fungal infection. Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be taken after a prescription from your doctor. For symptomatic relief applying a local antiseptic gel like neosporin or bacitracin along with 1% hydrocortisone gel will help in reducing the burning sensation and will help in healing. You can get these from your nearest pharmacy.
Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:
1) Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2) Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3) Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4) Change the undergarment daily, wash it in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.