Intercourse, itchy, red bumps on penis. STD?

Dermatologist
Question
Possible folliculitis on penis?
==========

Firstly thanks for the service you are offering here.

I'm concerned about these small pus-less red bumps that I've had on the base of my penis over the last few days. I believe they were caused three days ago when I had intercourse (with condom), during which I felt some friction and discomfort in the pubic hairs that now have the bumps present.

After the event I showered and tried using a towel in the woman's bathroom. I started feeling some discomfort later that night (roughly 3 hours later) in the form of slight itchiness and light pressure when the area was touched, but didn't notice any bumps at the time, so I'm unaware if they were present.

Two days later after the feeling still persisted, I trimmed the area very short to more closely inspect it. It was then that I noticed these small bumps on the hair follicles, a few of them with two hairs growing out from a single follicle.
The bumps are only present on the left of the base of the penis on the top side. As far as I have seen, the bumps are only present on hair follicles.

Firstly, I'd just like to know if this is a known symptom of any STD. I don't have any symptoms besides these bumps. I'd also like to know if this could be an infection caused by bacteria from the environment such as the towel, or if the follicles were aggravated by the friction. Unless they are touched there is no discomfort or itchiness. Could the double hairs growing from a few of these follicles be causing the bumps?

Is this something that will mend itself, or will I need some form of treatment? I can post a photo if necessary.

Thanks
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Dear.

The bumps that you have described can occur in Molluscum contagiosum a viral STD.

As I believe that more information can help a physician help a patient better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
• Did you have a similar problem in the past?How many times you have got it ?
• Does the lesion ihave pain? If yes, how severe is it?
• Do you have any history of oral lesions?oral ulcers?
• Do you have any other known allergies/food/drug sensitivity?
• Do you have fever /sore throat /joint pain /swollen glands in groin /any other symptoms?

Any past history of sexual intercourse?protected/unprotected?
Any history of similar complaints in your partner?

Please reply to the above questions to help you further.
Photographs of skin lesions (close up, distant and lateral) in good light can be helpful.

Awaiting your response.
Dr Sudarshan