Insulin dose increased rapidly. Safe to leave the needle in situ and redial to get prescribed dose?

Excellent

Endocrinologist
Question
I know a lady whose insulin dose has increased from 60 to 62 units XXXXXXX rapid XXXXXXX The pen that she uses allows her to dial up 60 units at a time. Can she leave the needle insitu and redial to get the prescribed dose rather than having 2 injections?

Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 28 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX

I would not recommend keeping the insulin in situ and redialling as this would lead to dosing errors. I am surprised she has such a high novorapid dose. Since she is taking such a high dose my recommendation to switch over to Insulin pump which would be more convenient and would reduce her insulin requirement.

Instead of taking Insulin 60 units and then 2 units with her pen, I would recommend 30 units one shot and 32 units second shot, which would reduce the dose the dialing errors.

Hope this is helpful

With Regards
Dr. Om Lakhani, MD

Follow-up: Insulin dose increased rapidly. Safe to leave the needle in situ and redial to get prescribed dose? 14 hours later
What would your recommendation of medication be instead of novarapid. This lady is 80 years of age

Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 59 minutes later
Hi.

Well dose of insulin would depend on many paramters the most important one being the sugar levels. It is a complex process , however in my opinion 62 units of novorapid in one shot is rare especially for an 80 year old in whom tight control is generally not required.

Dr. Om Lakhani.

Follow-up: Insulin dose increased rapidly. Safe to leave the needle in situ and redial to get prescribed dose? 3 hours later
Thank you very much for advice.

Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 8 hours later
My pleasure.

Dr om lakhani.