Insulin diabetic,EKG , T wave and ECG tests abnormal,quadruple bypass in past

I'm a 63 year old insulin diabetic who had a quadruple bypass in 1996. A recent EKG showed "occasional premature supraventricular
complexes", "nonspecific T wave abnormality" and "abnormal ECG".
What does this mean?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 40 minutes later

Premature supraventricular contractions are abnormal premature heartbeats originating from the atria of the heart. These premature discharges can be caused by heart attacks, electrolyte imbalances, lack of oxygen, atrial fibrillation, or medications.

Non specific T wave abnormality may be due to low amplitude or inverted T wave. It can occur due to Myocardial ischemia, Subacute or old pericarditis, Myocarditis or Myocardial contusion (from trauma), CNS disease causing long QT interval.

To find out the cause, you need to have holter monitoring, Echo cardiography, exercise cardiac stress test- treadmill test, Stress echo and nuclear imaging. Some of the blood tests are also needed like serum electrolyte levels, thyroid levels, cardiac enzymes, etc.

You can get all these investigations done under the guidance of your cardiologist.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Insulin diabetic,EKG , T wave and ECG tests abnormal,quadruple bypass in past 2 hours later
Are these anything to worry about? I feel great, have lots of energy, etc., but my Dad had a long run with heart problems until his death at 89. Just want to know if I need to be concerned or do anything quickly. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

You need to get further investigations done so that the cause can be determined. It is not an emergency but it should not be delayed without any reason.

Wishing you an early recovery.