Insulin dependent, PSA reading inconsistent. Sugar in blood causing this? Rectal exam shows enloarded prostate

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm 70 & insulin dependent. Over the last 15/10 years my PSA has been up & down between 3.2 (at the lowest) & 5.8 (at the highest). Last year it was 5.3. Recent test show 6.3. Would sugar in the blood be the cause for the inconsistent readings? The rectal exam shows a slightly enloarded prostate with no lumps, and soft. Should I b worried, and should I have a biopsy? XXXXXXX XXXXXXX PS recently (over the past year) I've had several steroid injections for back issues.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Raised blood glucose levels are not likely to cause a rise in levels of PSA.
On the contrary it has been seen that long term diabetic men have a lower risk of prostate cancer and have a lower levels of PSA.
If on examination no prostate abnormality is found and you are not having any urinary symptoms right now then there is no need of getting a biopsy done at these levels. However it might be advisable if the levels of PSA rise further on a follow up test.
Steroid injections might influence androgen levels causing a mild rise in PSA levels. You can go for a repeat test after 5-6 months to see the effect.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.