Insomniac. Using ear buds. Have gatorade propel zero. Why am I blacking out?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
For the past 3-4 days I have been finding myself staying up all night and not being able to go to sleep. I have found myself tossing and turning in bed all night. Then being too tired all day to exercise or be productive. I have gotten blackout curtains so it keeps the light out. Sometimes I exercise at 8pm lifting weights. At night I have cherrios with 1% organic milk. In addition I have Gatorade propel zero. In addition I have gotten earbuds to block out the noise. Please advise.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
It seems that you are suffering from insomnia- difficulty in falling asleep. This is most commonly seen associated with stress and anxiety.
I can undertand that you are already taking a few measures for getting sleep. For short term insomnia, an antianxiety drug like alprazolam or zolpidem is helpful in reducing anxiety and inducing sleep. Taking melatonin supplements are also a helpful option. You can get the appropriate drug prescribed from your primary physician.
You can also try these simple measures to help you fall asleep-
1.Practice relaxation exercises like yoga, breathing exercises.
2. Take the milk of XXXXXXX seeds at night before going to bed.
3. Indulge yourself in mild exercise during the day.
4. Stick to a regular sleeping schedule.
5. Try hot foot bath before going to sleep.
6. Decrease intake of tea and coffee specially do not take caffeine after 4.00 PM
7.Try to go to bed at the same time every night, and get up at the same time each morning. This includes weekends.
8. Block out surrounding environmental noise. You have already taken care of that.
9.Avoid napping in the afternoon.

I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal