Insomnia, anxiety, want to take Serax. Who can give legal prescriptionin the US?

I have insomnia and anxiety. I would like prescription Serax which is a low level benzo (only 10mg). I would like to take it on an as needed basis only, for high stress times when I am at home (evenings only). I have had alot of stress the last year but don't feel I need to see a psychiatrist. Higher than normal levels of tension, snappiness, and anxiety. Can I obtain an online prescription for that from you, or if not, who can do this legally in the US where it can be done conveniently online?

I have taken ambien in the past. I am 45, 6'2", 220, have history of insomnia, muscle spasms, and anxiety. I can also be reached at 000-000-0000if you would like to talk by phone.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on. You mentioned in your question that you are interested in obtaining a benzodiazepine

I need to inform you and make it very clear that benzodiazepines are controlled substances. The Federal food and drug administration as well as other governing bodies have restricted the ability of physicians to provide prescriptions for these medications to office at visits only. What this means is that the only way you can obtain a prescription for this type of medication would be to visit a position and discuss concerns in person. A prescription may only be given to a patient in person with a legal signature. This is not something that somebody can obtain online and I think the reason for this is to maintain adequate safety. These are XXXXXXX medications with high addictive potential.

In the meantime I would like to encourage you to focus on nonprescription ways of channeling stress. This includes meditation exercise and yoga. A combination of these along with a healthy diet can sometimes help with significant anxiety. In addition if you are having trouble sleeping. You might consider over-the-counter preparations such as Benadryl which can be successful in treating mild insomnia at very low doses.

Again I thank you for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert