Inside of lower lip bruised, turned purple, no history of injury. Causes for bruises?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My lower inside lip became all bruised purple. Wile it was happening I felt a sensation in my lip. I didnt bite the inside I was just sitting down. What is it
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 58 minutes later
Development of a purple bruise on your lip spontaneously without any history of injury is suggestive of a bleeding disorder or bleeding due to raised blood pressure. In hope you ar enot taking any medicines like aspirin.
You need to consult your physician to get a complete blood coagulation profile checked with APTT and platelet count to rule out other possible causes like thrombocytopenia. Your blood pressure also needs monitoring to find out if it is well controlled with medicines.
This can also happen due to a viral infection in the recent past- decreases the synthesis of platelets from the bone marrow.
Presence of any autoimmune disorders also needs to be ruled out.
The treatment is based on the diagnosis and severity of the problem. Treatment is usually done by fluid infusion, steroids, immunoglobulins, etc according to the severity of the condition.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.