Inside of lip looks black with some spots on it. What do you think it is?

hello I don't smoke not taking any medication but multivitamins. today i bit my lip n when i went to look at it noticed the inside of my lip was black! but only on one side n some spots on the other. when i take my tongue around my mouth it feels numb. what do you think it is? today i really didnt eat because I'm scared
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Discoloration of the mouth could originate from many medical problems, but most at times is not a major call for concern. It would be interesting to know if this is the first time you are noticing it, or if you also noticed a change in coloration in any part of your body recently. Also, checking for excessive bleeding when cut is also important. If you do not have any of these symptoms, I do not think it should be a major problem. This could simply be a petechial bleed (meaning outflow and clotting of blood beneath the superficial layer of the skin which is going to go off or be reabsorbed with time).
With the notion of the change in coloration of the lip, and the bite of the lip, this creates a state of anxiety which could lead to some bias as far as interpretation of, even normal sensations is concerned. I for now think its psychological, especially if this is the first time you are noticing this change in sensation. Staying calm and monitoring for some time could be a good idea.
However, if you have experienced this for quite some time, signs such as assymetry of the tongue should be evaluated, a change (increase or decrease) in the tongue size be evaluated. Serum electrolytes, a complete blood count and a complete evaluation by an ENT specialist might be necessary.
If not, I suggest you stay calm and observe symptoms for a few days. Do not really think there is something major. However, persistence of symptoms deserve a consultation first with your ENT specialist or neurologist, depending on his evaluation if need be.
Thanks and wishing you good health,
Luchuo, MD.