Inserted nuvaring days after period. Unprotected sex before that. Why did I start bleeding?

May 2013
birth controli inserted my nuvaring one week after the 7 day waiting period... the entire time the nuvaring was out i had unprotected sex 7 times... i put the ring back in and 2 days later i started bleeding but it is very light and have been doing so for 7 days now... could i be pregnant
Posted Mon, 4 Jun 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

NuvaRing is a vaginal ring containing ethinyl oestradiol and etonogestrel.
It prevents pregnancy by inhibiting ovulation and altering the cervical mucus status.
As you know it should be in place for 21 days then for one week you should remove it for withdrawal bleeding.

Once used for total 21 days it will give complete protection for the remaining 7 days normally.
But there is 1% chance of failure rate means possibility of pregnancy.

The possible causes for your prolonged bleeding are,
1. Though estrogen content is low in this compared with oral pills still there is a chance for irregular bleeding.
if there is little amount of bleeding or spotting which is common no need to worry but if the bleeding is heavy and continues for more than 7 days you have to consult the doctor.
Other causes are,
2. Usage of any enzyme inducing drugs which will affect the efficacy of hormones.
3. Pregnancy complications like miscarriage.
4. Local causes like cervical ectopy.

Now you visit your gynecologist undergo examination and if needed pregnancy test and ultrasound which will rule out the possible cause. According to that further treatment can be taken.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.