Inserted finger into vagina. Bite nails. HIV infection?

Dec 2013

Hi Dr. XXXXXXX .. I went to a strip club and during the dance the girl took my finger and placed it on her vagina... I didn't penetrate her using my finger but I pressed the area around the clitoris (I think)... I bite my nails but I did not have any cut/open wound on my finger at that time and the whole 'fingering' lasted around 10-15 seconds... Does that warrant an STD/STI/HIV test and if so can you give me an assessment on the risk? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to Healthcare Magic.

My self Dr S K Kanodia and will try to provide you the best of information regarding your query.

The first and foremost thing to tell you regarding your query is kindly rest assured about your problem as there is negligible or to be XXXXXXX no risk of contracting any sexually transmitted disease or HIV from the act of mere "fingering" around clitoris.

Now to tell you scientifically regarding the explanations:

1. The act of fingering was of very much short duration. In such a short duration of time, it is practically and clinically not possible to acquire any infection.

2. You do not have any cut open wound on your fingers. So again the chances are nil. As the most important source of entry are the cuts. Minor abrasions are again of less importance if present.

3. You do not know the status of the strip dancer- meaning whether she had any STDs or worse of all HIV infection. So there are 50% chances of her negative status. Even if we consider positive status to any of the sexually transmitted diseases or HIV then you should understand that all these microorganism are very fragile. These becomes dead as soon as it comes in contact with open environment.

4. The above fact is also supported by the medical terminology known as "infective dose" of any microorganism- whether bacteria or virus. It means the minimum amount or number of organism necessary to cause any infection. So in the mere contact of few seconds without any breech in skin would not be able to pass on into one individual to another.

Lastly you know very well that any sexually transmitted disease or most serious of all HIV infection do not spread by mere touching or even by kissing. If it would had been there then the whole of this world would had contracted HIV/STDs.

So kindly rest assured about chances of any sexually transmitted infections or HIV infection. Enjoy the day.

Hope I have answered your query and the informations provided would be helpful to you. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.
"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay K Kanodia
(MD- Dermatology & Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
Follow-up: Inserted finger into vagina. Bite nails. HIV infection? 6 hours later
Hi Dr. Kanodia

Thanks a lot for your very clear and supportive answer. I just had one followup question.

The fact that I bite my nails means that sometimes the skin around the edges of the nail is a little rough but I am 100% sure that there were no wounds/cuts encountered within the last 48 hours of the 'act' so I hope general skin conditions of a 'nail-biter' around the fingers doesn't put me in a higher risk category??

As per your answer I hope that the only testing I warrant is for purely psychological purposes?

Thanks again Dr. Kanodia! Your assurance means a lot to me.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later

Welcome again to the forum my dear young friend.

As I discussed in my previous Email the chances of acquiring any kind of sexually transmitted infections including HIV is negligible in your case.

As discussed previously, in sexually transmitted infections any virus or bacteria needs an entry point through a XXXXXXX breech in the skin and then by blood and body fluids gains entry inside.

In your case again to tell you scientifically and medically, nails are nonliving structures beyond its edges. It means the part of nail you bite is actually a nonliving structure without any blood or body fluid. So even if the nails are bit rough or frizzy does not make the entry point of any microorganism into the body.

We all have very fine abrasions in day today life. Even we doctors, other paramedical staffs and laboratory technicians deals every day with so many patients, examine them, deals with instruments and samples. So even if we consider those minor abrasions, we have not seen practically anybody acquiring any type of sexually transmitted or other types of infections.

Kindly reassure yourself for the minutest possibility of any STDs. Forget the event without any apprehension. Enjoy your Sunday !!

Hope the informations provided would be helpful to you. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help or you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay K Kanodia