Insect bite, rashes at the site of bite. What do you advise?

Last Saturday, I was outside and it felt like something bit me just below my right ear but right outside my hairline. I don't know what it was but I have been itching to the point it hurts to itch. It has been 11 days since the bite but there seems to be about 4 bites in the same area and it had a rash appearance. Can you possible tell me what this is and what I can do for it? Thanks in advance!
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query.
I understand that it is a very bad experience when it itches this bad for straight 11 days. As you mentioned that something bit you, insects bite can cause local allergic reaction which can last for 2 weeks. Normally the settle down in 3-5 days, but if it has lasted to 11 days then probably your body is reacting to it and hence you are developing the itching cause of the mast cells releasing histamine in that area.
What you need to do?
First fix an appointment with a dermatologist. Being in united states it will take a while before you get you appointment. Until then, apply lacto calamine locally and take Tab Cetrizine which is an anti-histamininc and reduce your local allergy. These tablets are available in 5 mg and 10 mg. As per the XXXXXXX policy I wont be able to prescribe you the tablets on net. Cetrizine may cause sedation and hence be careful while driving.
Lastly, I know it difficult, but try to itch as much as possible. If you itch, you irritate the area which releases more histamine and which makes you itch more. This goes on.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.