Inner lip cold sore, using kenacomb ointment. Any better medication?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi I have a inner lip cold sore,my doctor has before prescribed kenacomb ointment,it seemed to work really good and treated it almost over night. As I'm flat out working all the time and don't get time to go to the doctors,is there something else similar or better I can buy over the counter without prescription to treat this nasty thing,cheers XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
You need a topical ointment with antifungal, anti bacterial and steroid component for relief. You can have Betnovate-N, Dermovate-NN, Timodine cream , etc for topical application all of which are available over the counter.
Otherwise you can just ask for 1% hydrocortisone ointment with nystatin and see if it helps.
In case your symptoms are not relieved I encourage you to consult a dermatologist for physical examination and stronger prescription medicines.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.