Inner left ankle is bruised and swollen. Have shin pain. Suggest the treatment?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
My inner left ankle is bruised in 2 places and is swollen and numb and i have shin pain but i can walk on it whats wrong with me
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Have you had any ankle trauma recently?
This looks like a bruises caused by ankle sprain. Bruises do not look bad, just a small blood collection under the skin.
If your calf is hard and tender, veins thrombosis is possible.
Sometimes due to soft tissues compression blood vessels and nerves get compressed. This can give numbness, and lead to tissues necrosis. In sch case incision to make some space is necessary.
If your foot is warmer than the other one, veins thrombosis or inflammation is present.

I suggest you to visit ortopedist and:
- if there was any trauma, an X-ray should be done
- if calf is hard and tender, veins Dopplers ultrasound should be done

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Inner left ankle is bruised and swollen. Have shin pain. Suggest the treatment? 21 minutes later
I was wrestling and i felt a sharp pain up my inner leg from my shin then each day it got worse and worse

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
So this is the reason of this bruises. Its hard to diagnose from my point. It may be tendon trauma, ankle sprain, however veins thrombosis is also possible. Please visit orthopedist as asked before.

Regards.