Inner ankle bruised and looks purple. Cannot walk and feels numb. What is wrong?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My inner left ankle is bruised in two places the bruises are purple and I can walk on it because I don't feel it but I do have pain in my shin but my ankle is numb what's wrong with me
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be a soft tissue injury.

Detailed Answer:
The presence of bruise is suggestive of an XXXXXXX bleeding in the area due to a soft tissue injury. Since there is no pain on bearing weight, any bone or tendon injury is not likely. The purple skin coloration is a normal color change in the area of bruise. The superficial skin numbness will also improve as the bruise fades away.
Usually the bruising heals in about 2-3 weeks of the injury. The worry starts if sign of infection like fever, redness etc. present, and symptoms like pain, swelling increases and bruise last for more than 3 weeks.
If there is an increase in swelling (not bruise), Tenderness at the site and pain even in slight weight bearing then you need to consult a physician for proper examination and management. Else, need not to worry.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.