Injury to shin, centralized swelling which increases during day time

Hit my XXXXXXX against an object two weeks ago. Have centralized swelling in that area. The swelling increases during the day time.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
From the symptoms it looks like a formation of a hematoma under the skin or any hair line fracture. For this it is important to get an x-ray limb and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of fall.

I suggest you to apply cold compresses on your leg and XXXXXXX by wrapping ice in a towel and take some Tylenol after prescription from your doctor. You can also apply flexall to the area.You can also follow certain lifestyle measures which can help you with this pain. These include:

1) Give complete rest to the affected part.

2) Avoid bearing weight on the limb(standing, walking, etc.)

3) You may use a walker to avoid putting a direct pressure on the limb.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.