Injury on the left calf muscle, bruise. Should ice be applied?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I was hit in the side of my left calve muscle by a horseshoe and it is the size of a baseball will this go away it has been 3 weeks now. Should I be icing it to get the bump off the side of my leg. It is still bruised, but better than before. Just concerned this bump will not go away.
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The bump you are having due to the injury three weeks ago is likely to be due to a hematoma formation in the area.If the swelling is painless, firm, non growing and is showing the usual color changes like a bruise then it is not worrisome. This will gradually resolve over weeks by doing a hot fomentation in the area.
In case there is pain, restricted leg movements, raised local temperature, then a direct examination is needed to rule out any infection. Systemic antibiotics and surgical drainage might be needed in such cases.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.