Injury on tailbone in childhood, stiffness and swelling in tailbone. Is it related to childhood injury?

I injured myself when I was 11 by falling hard on my tailbone while rollerblading. I am almost 21 now, and I still experience pain and stiffness/swelling around my tailbone if I stand or sit for too long. Could these two things be related, or is it a separate issue I should check out?
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query. Today I will work with you on this.

Were you properly evaluated when you had a fall? Did you injure the Sacroiliac joint? Falls, Coccygeal injury, Acute back strain, sacrococcygeal joint injury are commonly related to stiffness and pain around the tail bone. Sometimes they can go for years together if proper precautions were not taken after the previous fall.

I advice you not to sit or stand for long. When you have to stand you can alternatively rest one foot on a low height stool and work. You should start moving around every 40 minutes when you work on chairs. Human body is not made to sit and work on chairs all day.

These are commonly complained:
Sore Coccyx, Lower back pain, Sore Buttocks, Tailbone Pain, Painful thighs, Sacroiliac Pain, Pelvic and Sacrum Pain.

Since the previous injury is sometimes related you may get evaluated once again only by an Orthopedic Surgeon / Spine Surgeon.

If my answers helped you please rate my answer after closing the discussion.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Injury on tailbone in childhood, stiffness and swelling in tailbone. Is it related to childhood injury? 2 hours later
I never went to the doctor for the initial injury, but I remember telling my mom that when I walked, I felt like my bones were rubbing together. She was pretty confident that I had just bruised something, and so I never was evaluated.

I will try the stool, though, that seems like a good idea. I've started doing yoga, and the more consistent I am with it, the less often I seem to feel pain.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 25 minutes later
If it was just a bruise it may not be related to the previous injury.

Yoga is a good therapeutic option for this problem as well as overall wellness. You can carry on.

If the problem seems to hamper your daily activity it is prudent to visit a doctor.

Good that I was of some help to you today, please close the discussion if you do have further queries.