Injury on shin, knee cap injury, swelling, painful, numbness. Serious?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I'm a 36 old woman, I fell from chair I standing on two weeks ago. My wieght is 130 lbs. I hit my XXXXXXX with my full body weight and then a second impact directly below my knee cap. Those two areas took the full impact with no buffer other than my pants I was wearing. It had two cuts from the impact & initial swelling below the knee cap & XXXXXXX areas. It was extermely painfully, the fall brought me to tears. Now two weeks later I still can not kneel down on both knees and I have pain when sitting & standing. The worse pain is at night. Also I have numbeness that does not go away in my XXXXXXX for the past week.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 2 hours later

Thank for posting the query.

I'm suprised you have not visited the emergency department in a hospital nearby. The impact could have caused a small hairline fracture. Or it could just be a blunt trauma causing superficial injuries and local collection of blood(haematoma) giving rise to swelling. In any case I advise you go to your physician and get your leg examined, clinically and radiologically.

If you are able to bear weight on your leg with ease and walk comfortably then its just minor trauma. You could simply use a crepe bandage over the leg, apply ice over the spot, elevate the leg over a pillow for a few days, and most importantly take adequate rest. But if you are still not able to sit or stand without pain as you have mentioned, go for the evaluation without further delay.

Dont forget to upload your Xrays so that we can help you further. If you have more doubts I'm availabale for follow up.
Good luck.
Follow-up: Injury on shin, knee cap injury, swelling, painful, numbness. Serious? 1 hour later
How concerned should be, regarding the numbness / loss of sensation in my XXXXXXX area? I have a Doctor's appointment scheduled. I also have begun to notice a kicking in the knee cap area when I walk.
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 5 hours later
Hello once again.

No need to panic over the numbness in XXXXXXX area. That's temporary loss of sensation due to trauma.

It will return to normal once you start medications.

As for the patella or knee cap, its difficult to say without actually examining it, but it can wait till your scheduled appointment.

Carry on doing the previously advised home remedies meanwhile.

Feel free to ask more.

Wish you an early recovery.