Injury on hip, swollen. Cannot move much. Accelerate healing possible?

IO fell off my bike cycle 8 days ago on my right hip. The swelling was the size of a football and about one inch high. Came down after 3 days to half the size and not changing since. Can walk with paiin but can go up stairs only one leg at a time. I have pics. I have been iceing for a week on and off. No heat yet. is ther anything I can do to accelerate healing?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 13 minutes later

Thanks for the query

I have seen the pics.
I strongly recommend you to visit an orthopedician to rule out fracture and also a hematoma (collection of blood)

The area which the bruise has spread is pretty huge, ice packs will only help a little but will not solve the issue.

In the mean time, you could use the following advice

1. Give ample rest to that joint
2. Do not engage in activities
3. Continue ice packs
4. Watch out for fever, pain and increase in the swelling of the joint
5. Tab like aceclofenac tend to bring down pain, please consult your doctor for a prescription

I would like to again stress on the fact that you should XXXXXXX an orthopedician soon for an examination and x XXXXXXX of that limb

I wish you a speedy recovery

If there are no further queries please accept my answer

Follow-up: Injury on hip, swollen. Cannot move much. Accelerate healing possible? 13 hours later
I did get an xray the day of and no fracture. No feaver any of the 8 days since the accident. How long until the hematoma will go down and how long until I can exercise and play tennis?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later
Thanks for the query

Firstly there should be a diagnosis of hematoma, if it's drained out it will take 2 weeks to heal.

You can play tennis as soon as the pain comes down.

I am happy you don't have a fracture

But please watch out for fever and also follow the advice I have given previously.

I wish you good health

With regards