Injury, compressed with slight fracture in body brace. Very painful. Vicodyn and advil working late. What to do?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
L1 injury (compressed with slight fracture), in body brace. Extreme pain getting out of bed. Is there a way that best to get up? I am on my side, put legs over and roll up on side using my arms to push body up. Takes about 30 minutes for the vicodyn or advil to relax the pain in lower back (about 9 or 10 level of pain)
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Carol Rogala 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
I am assuming that this is the only injury. The surface that you are laying on needs to be firm.
To be able to help you better, I would also like to know if you are receiving a muscle relaxant. Sometimes overhead equipment added to the bed which holds a strap is more efficient for transfers than trying to 'push off' the bed. An orthopedic surgeon or a physical therapist can advise you where to buy them.

Hope this helps,

Carol Rogala D.O.