Injury after fall, bruising and pain in leg, dark red blotches, soreness, puffiness

Question
I fell down a set of stairs onto stones and concrete about two weeks ago. I had bruising and pain in my leg for about two weeks. But now, where the bruise once once I have four very dark red blotches that are sore to the touch and a bit puffy. Also, the pain in my leg is back.
Posted Tue, 3 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 2 hours later
Thank you for writing in,
I think you have a haematoma ( a collection of the blood) at the affected site. This occurs when the
blood vessels under the skin rupture due to trauma.

Since this is associated with pain and slight swelling, I would suggest you see a general physician and get an evaluation done. We would be atleast needing a Xray to confirm that there is no severe underlying injury.

Till then, I would suggest the following to help provide relief:
-cold compresses like ice pack should be applied to the affected area for 20-30 minutes in order to speed healing and reduce swelling.
-Do not apply ice directly to the skin. Wrap the icepack in a towel.
- You can take tablet Motrin 400 mg one tablet as and when required with food ( upto 4 tablets daily). However, it would be better if you avoid this if you are receiving any medication to control your blood pressure ( which I am assuming you are not as you said your BP is good)
-Avoid aspirin because aspirin slows the blood from clotting and may, in fact, prolong the bleeding.
- Elevate the bruised area, if possible.

Kindly visit your doctor and get an opinion on the lesion and X-ray of the area.

If you have any doubt, I'll be happy to help you.
Regards.