Injured toe, bleeding. How worried should I be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My son is at Corps Hell Week. He is allowed one phone call every two days. He called tonight and said the toe he injured 12 months ago (dropped a telephone pole on it during a Cadet prank) is bleeding from running. Then he tells me it is XXXXXXX and at that point before I can ask if the XXXXXXX is pus or just bruising the Cadets are ordered off the phones and he hangs up. I have no way to reach him for 2 more days. How worried should I be? Is this serious enough to call his commander and ask for a wellnness check? If the XXXXXXX is pus will he be in enough pain to seek medical attention without my intervening? I don't want to be "that mom" who humiliates him in front of his squadron, but neither do I want to stand silent if this is likely to be life-threatening.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 minutes later
The bleeding from the toe which he injured 12 months ago is possibly due to re injury during running. The old blood if there is any can give a greenish hue to the area which is not XXXXXXX and resolves on its own.
IF it is a pus then due to infection he will be in such a pain that he cannot ignore going for a medical help. You need not worry for now. Next time when he calls, you can ask about the progress and ask him to see a doctor even if it is not painful.
My assessment is limited here as there is no substitute of a direct examination in such cases.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal