Injured toe after a fall. Swollen yellowish patch. What to do?

I slipped in slimy water while wearing flip flops, skinned my big toe and has a big gash on the side of it, yesterday. Today it is swollen, quite red, and very painful. The gash has a yellow patch on top of it now. What should I do? Have pics but it wouldn't allow me to upload them
Posted Sat, 7 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 54 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

There is no picture available. However, I understand that following trauma yesterday,your big toe is swollen, red, painful with a yellow patch over the gash.

I would suggest you to visit your doctor at the earliest as these are signs of inflammation and infection. Yellow patch could be pus, which means you need to be started on antibiotics as soon as possible. Wound needs to be cleaned and wound dressing needs to be done.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further queries, please feel free to write to me.

In case you don't have any further questions,kindly accept the answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day. Do visit your doctor ASAP.

Get well soon.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan