Injured severely. MRI done. Do I need surgery?

Oncologist, Surgical
I would like to know if the severity of my injury has worsened based on the two MRI's I've had 9 months apart. I would also like to know if surgery is an option.
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 7 hours later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. As compared to your previous MRI (08/2012), the current MRI demonstrates progression of the disease/ injury. In your previous MRI there was no canal stenosis or compression (and the problem was limited to L5-S1) but the current MRI shows stenosis and compression at both L4-5 & L5-S1 levels, which can lead to symptoms like weakness, tingling and pain in the legs and as the herniation is more towards the left side, you can have more symptoms on that side.
You should consult a good spine surgeon and consider aggressive physiotherapy and possibly surgery to take care of the problem.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.