Injured right elbow, inability to straighten either arms, numbness. Cause?

I can not straighten either arm. When I try it hurts. Often, out of nowhere my elbows hurt by simply move them. I injured my right elbow while swinging a sledge hammer and missing my target. I think it over extended the elbow, I could not use my arm for several weeks. The left arm is not as bad as the right. My hands tingle and I have numbness at times, which I hope is related to the elbows.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

If you are not able to use your arm or even extend it for last several weeks then it seems that you have seriously injured your elbows- it might even be a chip fracture of olecranon process. You need to have a medical help, get an X-ray done of both the elbows to see if it is only a soft tissue injury is not likely to restrict the movement to such a large extent.
Till the time you consult your orthopaedician, give rest to your arms, do a hot fomentation, apply a local analgesic gel and take a pain killer like ibuprofen for relief.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.