Injured neck. Having sharp pain. Could not turn head. What should I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I injured my neck about a year ago. I can barely remember even what mainly caused the problem but I was at the gym a few days after and It must have just been slightly injured because I remember I completely injured it there doing shoulder shrugs I believe. Leaving the gym I could not move my head to the left and if i tried it was a sharp pain and that I could not turn my head to the left even half way with out severe pain. It must have healed but til this very second I have constant discomfort, my collar bone pops, constantly moving my neck around it's always stiff around where my neck and trap connect, and it all feel like it's pulling together, my whole shoulder/neck just feels out of place and not right with movements or still. I have been to the physical therapist and then the orthopedic. The ortho surgeon examined but did not notice anything and said all my movements are normal yet to this very second I'm having this discomfort non stop, to the point i try popping my neck I rotate my arm swing it around and that doesn't even feel normal. Everything I do I try reach with my left first for everything and think about it and I never done that, I am right handed. Its as if I'm fighting to feel normal and relief through my left. As if you're not breathing clearly and dying for that fresh breath. When I'm laying down to sleep, sitting down, all day. I'm constantly thinking about it. Everything I do I compare my left reach and movement to my right and it doesn't feel as solid. Every time I go to grab something off the ground, put my shirt on, pick up a weight, open a cabinet, Im thinking about it already or i stop half way and re reach with my left because it feels so awkward when it seems nothings wrong. It makes me so frustrated all I do is work out (I did stop numerous times for a period of time and symptoms discomfort still the same it makes no difference) I just don't know what to do and this is the biggest problem I've ever had and sometimes I think I'm imagining it but It as I explained interferes with me on a 24/7 basis and even takes XXXXXXX plus potential out of things for me, and even always ruin my mood and makes me so frustrated. I am 21 I wanna feel solid like I did before and This not affect me with increasing in the gym or even anything as it does everything. it happened and never stopped after I injured my neck so It's obviously something. What should I do please?
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be a muscle sprain.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query and a detailed description.
From your symptoms it seems that you have suffered a muscle sprain on the left side of the neck involving the shoulder muscles. It can be a MRI scan of your neck done.
You should do following to have relief -
-At least have an x XXXXXXX of cervical spine. Best will be to have a MRI of spine.
-Wear a cervical collar. This will at least give rest to your strained muscles.
-Avoid bending your neck at abnormal position for long time, like on computer.
-Do warm water fomentation with help of water bag over your neck.
-Take a good analgesic like combination of tramadol with paracetamol.
- Take help of a physiothearpist .He will be able to give your relief by intermittent traction, ultrasonic therapy etc.
In case of persistent pain, do get some muscle relaxants prescribed from your orthopedician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.