Injured knee. Having pain. Prescribed KondroFlex power. Ligament or cartilage issue ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Two years ago I had a fall and twisted and injured my right knee. It did a lot and look months to recover. Now I am pretty fine but I go get a slight pain in the knee at times. Specially when I run / do other physical exercise. But the pain is not bad enough to stop. But a slight discomfort . I visited a doctor and was suggested exercise and 3 month course of KondroFlex power.
My questions are -
1 > Do you advise KondroFlex here?
2 > Should I be restraining myself from running long distances / exercising / swimming / cycling, etc ?
3 > This is a ligament or a cartilage issue ?
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 1 hour later

I have read your question with diligence. I have reached to a diagnosis, depending on following points-

-You are having pain on running or physical exercise but not on rest.

-Your pain is not severe. It is only a discomfort.

-You have a history of twisting at your knee.

All these at age of 29 may lead to ligament injury or meniscal injury. Looking at your details, there is a high probability that you had injured your menisci (Menisci are compressible cushion like structures over the articular cartilage of tibia bone at leg).There are also chances that you may have injury to your cartilage. This injury should be confirmed by some clinical tests & by MRI.

At present you should-

1.You may use kondroflex. This contains chondroitin sulfate & glucosamine sulfate. These are very helpful in cartilage injuries.

2.You should restrain yourself from running but should continue swimming & exercises like-

3.It looks to be cartilage issue with meniscal injury.I shall advice you for MRI study to confirm this.

Hope this all will help you.

With best wishes.
Follow-up: Injured knee. Having pain. Prescribed KondroFlex power. Ligament or cartilage issue ? 1 hour later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Tiwari. Thank you! This information helps.
Firstly I am relaxed that I am taking the right medicine.
You are right, the problem is not at all severe but just a discomfort . My concern is that I do not want to give up running. That's a passion I recently developed ( in the past 1 year ) and don't want to let it go. I want to run marathons and already did two 10Km runs in last 3 months :) Regularly I run about 5 kms thrice a week.
At the same time I do not want to end up with major knee issues as I grow old ( and the reason for it to be running ) . What's the way out ?
I will follow the exercises you suggested in addition the the ones I am already doing.
Also, should I consider getting a X-Ray done before the MRI scan ? Also what are the other clinical tests that you mentioned ?

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Tiwari 3 hours later

I appreciate your fascination with marathon.

I will be able to tell you middle path regime after looking at report of your MRI.

You should directly have MRI (Magnetic resonance Imaging) investigation, as in your case x XXXXXXX will be not informative .You are having problem with soft tissue component, which are not seen by x XXXXXXX

There are some clinical test like MC XXXXXXX TEST,VALGUS & VARUS STRAIN TEST.These tests are clinical tests which can be done by your orthopedic doctor.

Hope this all will help you.

With best wishes.